AECOM / Grandlinq
- Region of Waterloo
T2 Utility Engineers (T2ue) subcontracted to AECOM, provided Utility Coordination Services to Grandlinq Contractors for the design and construction of the Region of Waterloo’s ION LRT (WLRT).
A 19km long corridor comprises the WLRT featuring sections of track shared with heavy rail, a grade separation, rebuilt heavy rail bridges, 19 stops, and a new Operations Maintenance & Storage Facility (OMSF). Infrastructure congestion within the corridor in the Waterloo and Kitchener cores, and consideration for future regional projects, presented design challenges.
As part of the Design team, a partial listing of T2ue’s scope included:
- Coordination of design effort with disciplines such as Civil, Roads, Architectural, LRT Systems, Traffic Controls, Street Lighting, Track, and Private Utilities (Electrical, Telecommunications, and Gas);
- Chairing Design and Construction coordination meetings;
- Attend private utility meetings with the Client and chair private utility meetings with their respective representatives;
- Coordination of design with private utility companies including documents necessary to assist the Client in obtaining approvals from private utility companies;
- Design drawings for private utility works to a level of detail necessary to garner approvals.
T2ue’s knowledge of Utility infrastructure, in conjunction with effective communication and organization skills, fostered the integration of the designs from the Project disciplines and the Private Utilities, for depiction on proposed and removal composite utility plans that were central to the advancement of the design packages. Each milestone design advancement was subject to an iterative review of infrastructure conflicts identifying the issues to be resolved while adhering to the limits of internal processes, requirements, relocation scopes and scheduling practices.
T2ue provided ongoing third party MC review providing comments to insure proposed works were complementary and free of conflicts.
T2ue’s concerted effort with our partnered design team resulted in a successful project execution.